- Translation: a file can be sent from one location over the internet and placed in a directory on the receiving end.
- Basically an FTP is a bridge between two systems that may not otherwise be able to communicate. It's a place in the middle where they meet and transfer data.
- AoB will utilize an FTP in 2 ways:
- An FTP for your AoB account allows you and third party services to interact with your AoB account. Examples would be uploading files for new inventory, downloading inventory files, or sales history downloads. Or, in the case of a third party service: RepriceIt.com, for your inventory repricing.
- Some Venues require an FTP to interact with AoB. Enter the login for these accounts on the AoB Venue Settings to allow us to pass the files back and forth which are necessary to keep your business in sync on your selling sites.
You can login to any FTP account that is not a Secure FTP (sFTP) in a web browser, for read-only access by following these instructions:
- Open an internet browser.
- In the address bar at the top (where it normally says http://www.theartofbooks.com) enter ftp://ftp.theartofbooks.com. (For non-AoB FTP accounts you'll need to change the host to the other host name you're using. Example, BuyBundle is ftp.buybundle.com)
- A dialog box will open. In the first line enter your username for that FTP account. In the second line enter your password
- Click Login
To access sFTP accounts such as those with Barnes & Noble, or Presto, or to have more than read-only access to your FTP, you will need to download an FTP Client to access that account.
- For Window users we recommend WinSCP
- For Mac users we recomend Cyberduck.
- However, you can also get a free FTP Client if you don't mind using FireFox Addons
Once logged in to your FTP account using an FTP Client you are presented with the main directory as displayed here:
- AoB's processing will pick the file up on its next scheduled cycle (usually within minutes).
- Files that have been processed will display done in the Type column of your FTP Client and .done as the new file extension.
- You can leave processed files in this directory or delete them as you wish.
Any download requests you initiate in AoB, whether for Inventory, or Sales History, will be found in the downloads sub-directory. Saving your files to your machine is as simple as dragging them to your desktop, or right clicking and choosing your Save As option.
- order_id will be the order id as it's displayed in AOB. (ex: Alibris orders have 'AL' prepended in the AOB display)
- dc will be your Delivery Confirmation number.
- shipping_cost will enter the value as your Actual Shipping cost. The dollar amount should not include the dollar sign ($).
- shipped_method the value of this column will be based on the shipping method and carrier as follows:
- usps_mm = Media Mail
- usps_fc = First Class
- usps_pm = Priority Mail
- usps_em = Express Mail
- usps_lm = Library Mail
- usps_bp = Bound Printed Matter
- usps_yp = Standard
- fedex_gr = Ground - FedEx
- fedex_ai = Air - FedEx
- ups_gr = Ground - UPS
- ups_ai = Air
- dhl_gr = Ground - DHL
- dhl_ai = Air - DHL
- dhl_gl = DHL Global